Ida Fadzillah Leggett, PhD (University of Illinois, ACYIG Convenor) Ida.Leggett@mtsu.edu
NEOS Issue 15, Volume 2, Fall 2023
Dear NEOS Readers,
As we approach the final months of 2023, I want to acknowledge another ending and thank the outgoing NEOS editors Jennifer Shaw and Rebecca L. Sanford, and welcome the new editors Manya Kagan and Chelsea Cutright. I wish them all the best and look forward to working with Manya and Chelsea on future NEOS publications.
We had a lively and productive ACYIG Reception at the 2023 AAA Conference in Toronto. It was wonderful to meet childhood/youth scholars from all over the world as well as see people face-to-face after years of virtual meetings. From the Reception and the ACYIG Board and Business Meetings, we noticed some common issues I would like to address. The main observation was that—while there were several conference papers presented on this issue—there was a relative dearth of AAA panels organized around issues of childhood or youth. Based on this, I would like to encourage more ACYIG scholars to not just engage with the topic, but also share to their work and research interests with a wider audience. If you are a scholar of childhood or youth, please consider:
- organizing a session or presenting a paper for the next AAA focusing on childhood and/or youth.
- organizing a session or presenting a paper for another conference, like the EASA (European Association of Social Anthropologists) Conference, to be held July 2024 in Barcelona.
- participating in graduate student-focused virtual workshops organized by our graduate student representatives. For more details please email Adriano de Francesco (email@example.com) or Christopher Chapman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- submitting your most recent article or book to be featured in the ACYIG Spotlight on Scholarship section of the ACYIG Webpage. For more information contact Julie Spray at email@example.com.
- entering your recently published book for the next ACYIG Book Prize in 2024.
Additionally, the ACYIG Board is beginning the process of organizing a Conference for Childhood and Youth Scholars. Are you interested in participating in the organization process? Please contact me at Ida.Leggett@mtsu.edu.
Do you have any questions or comments about the ACYIG? Would you like to get more involved in any of our initiatives? Email me at Ida.Leggett@mtsu.edu.
Ida Fadzillah Leggett