Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
Deadline for Submissions: January 15th 2015
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) at the University of the West Indies, home of the Caribbean Journal of International Relations & Diplomacy and the regional hub of the Caribbean Child Rights Observatory Network (CCRON), would like to issue a special call for papers on the question of Child Rights in the Caribbean. This issue is a reflective commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child; the most extensively ratified international human rights treaty, which was signed into existence in November 1989.
Papers that deal with any aspect of the issue, whether longer and more theoretically informed academic pieces, or shorter policy-focused articles, are welcomed. We are especially interested in empirical work – both in the Caribbean and beyond – which sheds new light and provides new evidence that advances pre-existing and emerging debates about issues relating to children’s rights. Specific themes that the special issue aims to address are:
- Intellectual debates around questions of rights and their relationship with citizenship and democracy in the Caribbean region
- Evidence-based advocacy for the promotion of children’s rights
- Evidence-based policy-making for the realization of children’s rights
- The impact and effectiveness of piloting and modelling programmes for children to influence policy-making
- The production of data for monitoring the situation of children and for equity-focused analysis of issues faced by children
- Monitoring and evaluation of national policies and programs for increased effectiveness of budget spending on social services for children
The special issue of the journal will be published in early 2015. It will be a joint endeavour between the CCRON, the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).
For further enquiries please contact us at [email protected] . Please note that all submissions must conform the journal’s standard author guidelines. For these, and any further information, please visit our website at http://journals.sta.uwi.edu/